What makes physical therapy at PWR!
different from other clinics?
Parkinson Disease Expertise We have Parkinson’s specialized physical therapists
Our physical therapists are experts in seeing people with Parkinson’s Disease and are applying the most updated evidence in PD research into your care. Just like you would see a cardiologist if you have a heart problem, seeing a physical therapist who specializes in Parkinson Disease will help you address your Parkinson’s specific problems.
Empowerment We empower you to reach your goals to live your best life with PD
Our physical therapists empower you to live your best life with Parkinson’s by guiding you on what type of exercise you should do, providing you with strategies to address your specific symptoms, educating you on the latest research, challenging you to do more than you think you can, and setting up your plan of care to help you meet your goals.
Intensity We schedule physical therapy intensives, seeing you multiple times per week, to optimize your potential and help you see how well you can move!
Research suggests that in order to get better, you need to practice intensively which means your physical therapist might recommend seeing you for multiple sessions per week when getting started so that we can help you optimize your function, reach your goals, and empower you in your journey with PD.
Regular check-ins We check in with you at least every 6 months to proactively address problem areas
Here at the PWR! Gym, your physical therapist will check in with you at least every 6 months to help you work through any new problems like pain, difficulty with walking or balance, falls etc. During this time, we also provide you with feedback on how you are moving and how you can improve areas that might be challenging so you don’t have to fear what changes might be occurring because of PD.
Proactive approach We recommend that you get started with PD-specialized physical therapy sooner than later
Even if you aren’t falling or having trouble with balance, we recommend that you see a PD-specialized physical therapist to optimize your exercise and get a baseline assessment of your function so we can notice any PD-related changes sooner than later. As soon as you are diagnosed, come see us! Haven’t seen a PD-specialized PT yet? Come see us! Is there something you have given up because of Parkinson’s and want to start doing again? Come see us! It’s never too late to get started, and research suggests that getting started sooner than later is best.
Our goal is to return you to baseline after any type of change in health status (injury, illness, stress). Without regular exercise and physical therapy, symptoms and daily mobility get worse. Don’t be satisfied with status quo, let us help.
Exercise therapy recommendations We recommend which levels of group exercise classes are right for you so you are set up for success when exercising
Have you ever gotten a piece of paper with exercises to do on your own after physical therapy but struggled to get motivated to do on your own? Here at the PWR! Gym, we have both virtual and in-person group exercise classes that are tailored to your ability levels that your physical therapist will hand pick for you as part of your plan of care so that you don’t have to feel like you are exercising alone. Have you ever been given exercises to do on your own and never followed through? Or struggled to do them alone so quit? Our therapists know that you need personalize goals and feedback about your performance and progress and a social connection to others to get started and stick with the program. We know, b/c we have 100’s of PwP that have been part of our PWR!Gym for 3,4,5,6,7 + years. That is why we offer virtual and in-person classes that are tailored to you – so you can just focus on “getting better and staying better”.
Our PD-specialized physical therapy can help you:
- Improve your posture, balance, walking, and/or freezing of gait episodes (getting your feet stuck when trying to turn or get started with walking)
- Improve your ability to do functional activities like getting up out of chairs, getting in and out of the car, getting up off the floor, moving around in bed, getting up out of bed, and/or moving around at home
- Return to your normal level of function and modify your exercise plan if you have a fall, hospitalization, sickness, surgery, or injury
- Get set up with a PD-specific home exercise plan that is customized for you to optimize your exercise and function now
- Get started with the level of group class (either virtual or in-person) here at the PWR! Gym that is challenging, fun, and safe for you
What to expect when you come into the PWR! Gym for your physical therapy appointment
How you begin to set goals at PWR! Every step of the way you are a part of team of people who want to see you live your best life and are invested in you.
- Front office staff will greet you and collect your intake paperwork
- Meet one on one with a Parkinson’s-specialized physical therapist who will talk with you about:
- Ways to live your best with PD
- Your goals for exercise and mobility (walking, balance, etc.)
- Then your physical therapist will assess your mobility including walking and balance, help you come up with a plan for addressing your concerns related to Parkinson’s, and get you set up with exercise
Integrated, individualized, and proactive care: We work closely as a team of physical and exercise therapists to make sure you are doing well on your journey with PD
- Your on-site physical therapist communicates regularly with your on-site exercise therapists (group class instructors) to make sure you are getting the most benefits from participating in class. Your physical therapist will let your exercise therapist know about your health conditions, what tips worked well for you during physical therapy, any concerns to look out for, and what your goals are so you can exercise successfully. Your exercise therapist will communicate any changes or concerns they might observe to your physical therapist so we can proactively address problem areas.
- Both in-person and telemedicine physical therapy appointments are available depending on your location.
- Both insurance and cash-pay options available: Please call to inquire about coverage.